Skip to main content

Records of the Institute of Agricultural Economics, 1913-1945

 Sub-Series

How to
request

Dates

  • Creation: 1913-1945

Language of Materials

  • English

Full range of shelfmarks:

MSS. University Archives AE 1-145

Biographical / Historical

The Institute of Agricultural Economics was established, as the Agricultural Economics Research Institute, with the aid of a Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Development Commission grant in 1913. Until 1945 it formed a part of the School of Rural Economy. An Advisory Sub-Committee of the Committee for Rural Economy was established in June 1912 to be responsible for the selection of the Director of the Institute and to supervise the teaching, examination and research of agricultural economics in the University. The signed minutes of the Advisory Sub-Committee for 1913 to 1945 are not included in the records of the Institute but are elsewhere in the Archives (DC 6/3/1-3).

Initially the Institute took part in the teaching of students who were reading for the Pass School (group C.3) and postgraduate Diploma in Rural Economy (established in 1910). In 1919 the newly established Pass School of Agriculture and Forestry was separated from the other groups and offered a common preliminary and separate final examinations. The syllabus for this Pass School was revised in 1923 and 1934.

In 1947 the postgraduate Diploma in Agricultural Economics was introduced. This was superseded in 1973 by the MSc in Agricultural Economics.

In 1925 the Institute moved from the School of Rural Economy to Museum Cottage, Parks Road, Oxford, and in 1930, owing to the increase in work and staff, also took up residence in 3 Museum Road.

In 1945 the University Statutes concerning the administration of the School of Rural Economy were completely reorganised and the Institute became an independent body which functioned on a statutory basis. Its work was to include "the study of the economics of the production, distribution and consumption of agricultural products and rural industrial conditions" (Statutes, 1945). The organisation of the Institute was turned over to the Director, who was obliged to present to Congregation an annual report on the activities of the Institute. The Advisory Sub-Committee was therefore disbanded in 1945.

In 1961, following a further revision of the Statutes, it was decreed that "the Director [should] be assisted by an Advisory Committee composed of five members of the Institute staff (subject to approval by the General Board of Faculties)." (Statutes, 1961). The Advisory Committee is also referred to as the Statutory Advisory Committee.

In 1971 the Institute merged with the Institute of Agrarian Affairs and moved into Dartington House, Little Clarendon Street. On 1 August 1986 the Institute was taken over by Queen Elizabeth House, the University centre for the study of overseas development. From this date the Institute ceased to be an independent body and no more administrative records were created in its name.

The form of the name of the Institute was altered four times between 1913 and 1986:

  1. 1913-27 Institute for Research into Agricultural Economics
  2. 1928-44 Agricultural Economics Research Institute
  3. 1945-70 Institute for Research into Agricultural Economics
  4. 1970-86 Institute of Agricultural Economics

Directors of the Institute 1913-86:

  1. 1913-45 CS Orwin* (Balliol)
  2. 1946-52 AW Ashby
  3. 1952-69 Colin G Clark (Brasenose)
  4. 1969-70 vacant
  5. 1970-8 KE Hunt (Wolfson)
  6. 1978-9 vacant
  7. 1979-86 GH Peters (Wolfson)

*The initials of the second wife of CS Orwin (Director of the Institute, 1913-45) were also CS. They frequently published research jointly. The CS Orwin referred to in this catalogue is Mr Orwin, unless otherwise indicated.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Most of the records of the Institute (MSS. University Archives AE 1 to 138) were transferred to the Archives in 1986. A further small transfer (MS. University Archives AE 139-140) was made in 1996. In 2003 some Institute of Agricultural Economics files were transferred to the Archives from Queen Elizabeth House (MS. University Archives AE 5, MSS. University Archives AE 141-144). Another transfer of records was made in 2009 (MS. University Archives AE 7 and MS. University Archives AE 145). There are plans and drawings showing additions to the cottage of the Institute for Research into Agricultural Economics in OUA/ET/2/1/16.

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom