Catalogues of the Carte papers in their original state: vol. 1, 18th cent.
Vols. 1-2 (MS. Carte 277 and 278) are Carte's own most elaborate 'index' in his own handwriting, and comprise some volumes not now in the collection, while it omits some which are now there.
At p. i are lists of Irish Docquets and Fiants, etc. 22 Jan. 1667--23 Jan. 1673 and (p. xxx) of grants by Charles II, 21 Apr. 1662-65. At p. 293 are some corrections in Dr. Routh's writing.
- Creation: 18th cent.
Language of Materials
MS. Carte 277
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 10722.
- From the Collection: Butler | James | 1610-1688 | 1st Duke of Ormonde | soldier and statesman (Person)
- From the Collection: Carte | Thomas | 1686-1754 | historian (Person)
- From the Collection: Davies | Sir | John | 1569-1626 | Knight | Attorney General of Ireland and Poet (Person)
- From the Collection: Fitzwilliam | Sir | William | 1526-1599 | Knight | Lord Deputy of Ireland (Person)
- From the Collection: Middleton | Charles | c. 1650-1719 | 2nd Earl of Middleton | statesman (Person)
- From the Collection: Montagu | Edward | 1625-1672 | 1st Earl of Sandwich | admiral (Person)
- From the Collection: Nairne | David | fl 1720 | Secretary to the Pretender (Person)
- From the Collection: Wharton | Philip | 1613-1696 | 4th Baron Wharton (Person)
- From the Collection: Wharton | Thomas | 1648-1716 | 1st Marquess of Wharton (Person)