Correspondence and papers on the public affairs of England and Ireland, chiefly 1625-80, with some earlier and later, 17th-18th cent.
- (fols. 121, 123, 136, 140, cf. 92) letters of John Hampden, 1643
- many Civil War letters
- (fols. 189, 193) letters etc. of Oliver Cromwell, 1652-7
- (fol. 122) Andrew Marvell, 1667
The volume consists of miscellaneous papers from the Wharton, Huntingdon, and Montagu collections, mixed with some of Carte's own correspondence.
- Creation: 17th-18th cent.
Language of Materials
MS. Carte 103/1
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 10548.
- From the Collection: Butler | James | 1610-1688 | 1st Duke of Ormonde | soldier and statesman (Person)
- From the Collection: Carte | Thomas | 1686-1754 | historian (Person)
- From the Collection: Davies | Sir | John | 1569-1626 | Knight | Attorney General of Ireland and Poet (Person)
- From the Collection: Fitzwilliam | Sir | William | 1526-1599 | Knight | Lord Deputy of Ireland (Person)
- From the Collection: Middleton | Charles | c. 1650-1719 | 2nd Earl of Middleton | statesman (Person)
- From the Collection: Montagu | Edward | 1625-1672 | 1st Earl of Sandwich | admiral (Person)
- From the Collection: Nairne | David | fl 1720 | Secretary to the Pretender (Person)
- From the Collection: Wharton | Philip | 1613-1696 | 4th Baron Wharton (Person)
- From the Collection: Wharton | Thomas | 1648-1716 | 1st Marquess of Wharton (Person)