Papers relating to Mary's life, work, and interests, [1833?]-1884 and n.d.
Folder MSDIP-11: account of Mary Somerville in The Leisure Hour, Oct 1871, pp 632-636, with notes and corrections in Mary's hand
Folder MSDIP-12: cuttings containing reviews of Personal Recollections, from Early Life to Old Age, 1873-1874
Folder MSDIP-13: letters concerning family portraits and related matters, [1833?]-1905, including a letter of thanks from the National Portrait Gallery to Sir William Ramsay Fairfax for the bequest of a portrait of Mary Somerville, 17 Jan 1884
Folder MSDIP-14: letters relating to the donation of Mary's mathematical books to Girton College, Cambridge, 1873, and a letter from F.P. Cobbe to [Martha Somerville] regarding the creation of a ‘Somerville Scholarship’, 12 Mar no year
Folder MSDIP-15: papers relating to the role of women in society, 1868-1871 and n.d., including:
- receipt for donation to the London National Society for Women's Suffrage by Mary and her daughters, 12 Nov 1868
- letter from M.K. Kingsley to Mary requesting that Mary allow her name to be added to the General Committee of the National Society for Women’s Suffrage, n.d. [1868?]
- letters from Paulina Davis, Secretary, Woman's Rights Association, Providence, R I, to Mary concerning her support of the Association, n.d.  and 26 Dec 1871, with a photograph, possibly of Davis
Folder MSDIP-16: papers relating to the award to Mary of an Italian gold medal for Physical Geography and other matters, 1839-1869, including:
- copy of a letter, apparently from Mary, to The Times regarding the practice of vivisection in Florence, 16 Dec 1863
- letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Florence, to Mary, regarding the award to her of a gold medal bearing the image of Victor Emmanuel, [King of Italy], 30 Jun 1869
- enclosures with labels in Mary's hand (describing some items now in Dep. c. 375-376)
Folder MSDIP-17: offprints of articles by J.F.W. Herschel relating to the weather, volcanoes and earthquakes, the sun, light, and celestial measurings and weighings, 1865 and n.d.
Folder MSDIP-18: offprints and cuttings relating to various matters, 1859-1869 and n.d., including:
- Darwin's On the Origin of Species, reviewed in The Times, 26 Dec 1859
- uniform musical pitch, in a published letter by J.F.W. Herschel, 14 Jun 1859
- the teaching of science, by James Stuart, MA, quoting Mary, in an offprint received ‘from Mrs Butler’, c.1869
Folder MSDIP-19: obituaries of Mary Somerville from English, Italian, German and American newspapers and other sources, 1872-1873
Folder MSDIP-20: obituaries of [J.B.] Pentland (in Italian), 1874; Lady Murchison, by Frank Buckland, 13 Feb 1869; and Mary Somerville, by F.P. C[obbe], 3 Dec 1872
- Creation: [1833?]-1884 and n.d.
1 box (10 folders)
Language of Materials
Dep. c. 376