Correspondence and papers relating to Mary's achievements, honours and awards, 1811-1870 and n.d.
Folder MSDIP-1: letter from John Wallace to Mary regarding the award to her of the Mathematical Medal, 12 Jul 1811
Folder MSDIP-2: letters and papers relating to the Royal Society, 1831-1835 and n.d., including:
- letters from John Geo[rge] Children, Secretary of the Royal Society, to Mary regarding the receipt of a copy of The Mechanism of the Heavens, 23 Dec 1831; and to William Somerville regarding the approval of the Duke of Sussex for the placing of a bust of Mary in the Meeting Room of the Royal Society, 19 Feb 1832
- copy of a letter of appreciation from Mary to the Duke of Sussex, 24 Feb 1832
- list of subscribers to a bust of Mary for the Royal Society, n.d. [c.1832]
- receipt for a copy of On the Connexion of the Physical Sciences, signed by J.G. Children, 24 Feb 1835
Folder MSDIP-3: letters and papers, mainly relating to honours received by Mary, 1832-1835 and n.d., including letters and certificates concerning Mary’s election to honorary membership of the Royal Astronomical Society (with Caroline Herschel), the Bristol Philosophical Institution, the Royal Irish Academy, the Naval and Military Library and Museum, and the London Mechanics Institution
Folder MSDIP-4: letter and certificate regarding Mary’s election to membership of the American Philosophical Society, 15 Oct 1869, and a letter presenting to her the Bulletin of the American Geographical and Statistical Society, Vol 2, 18 May 1857
Folder MSDIP-5: letters and papers relating to honours received by Mary from Italian societies, 1839-1870
Folder MSDIP-6: papers regarding honours received by Mary from the Academie Royale de Medecine, 31 Mar 1834?, and La Societe de Physique et d'Histoire Naturelle de Geneve, 3 Apr 1834
Folder MSDIP-7: papers relating to the award to Mary of the Patron's Medal of the Royal Geographical Society, 1869
Folder MSDIP-8: correspondence and papers, 1835-1838 and n.d., relating to the award to Mary of a pension of £200 per annum, 1835, and an additional sum of £100 per annum, 1837, including a copy of a letter of thanks from Mary to Sir Robert Peel, 31 Mar 1835. Also contains some correspondence apparently concerning the possible award of a baronetcy to Mary' s brother, Henry, n.d.
Folder MSDIP-9: letters and papers relating to royal dedications, 1832-1835, including:
- letters from Mary to Nicholas, Emperor of All the Russias, presenting to him a copy of The Mechanism of the Heavens, 5 Sep 1832 (with enclosure addressed to Nicholas, so possibly not sent) and 24 Mar 1834
- draft in Mary's hand of the dedication to [Queen Adelaide] of On the Connexion of the Physical Sciences, 1 Jan 1834
Folder MSDIP-10: publications and cuttings containing reviews of The Mechanism of the Heavens, Physical Geography, and On Microscopic and Molecular Science, 1832-1869
- Creation: 1811-1870 and n.d.
1 box (10 folders)
Language of Materials
Dep. c. 375