Papers relating to the financial and legal affairs of the Somerville, Greig, Fairfax and Charters families, 1806-[1877?] and n.d.
Dep. c. 374
- Folder MSBUS-12: statements and letters from the bankers Herries Farquhar and Co., 1836-1874, to Woronzow Greig, 1836-1860; to Mary, 1865-1872; to 'executrices', 6 Feb 1872; and to Martha and Mary [C] Somerville, 1873-1874
- Folder MSBUS-13: statements from the bankers Iggulden & Cie, Naples, 1871-1875 and n.d., to Mary, 30 Dec 1871; and to Martha Somerville, 22 Apr 1873-30 Apr 1875 and n.d.
- Folder MSBUS-14: statements, bills and related letters addressed to Mary and William Somerville, Woronzow and Agnes Greig, ‘Miss Somerville’ and the Countess of Lovelace, 1850-1869 and n.d.
- Folder MSBUS-15: correspondence concerning the guardianship of Katherine Charters, daughter of Samuel and Emilia Charters, and a trust for her benefit, 1855-1869 and n.d.
- Folder MSBUS-16: marriage contract between William Somerville and Mary Greig, 18 May 1812 (2 copies); bond by William Somerville to Dame Margaret Fairfax and Mary Somerville, and Captain Henry Fairfax, 10 May 1814; revocation and bond of corroboration by Mary and William Somerville, 26 Oct 1818
- Folder MSBUS-17: certified copy of last will and testament of Mary Somerville, 30 Dec 1865, made 4 Dec 1872
- Folder MSBUS-18: receipts for payments by members of the Somerville and Greig families and others for annuities and stock, and related papers, 1806-1809 and 1872
- Folder MSBUS-19: papers relating to the estate of Dr Thomas Somerville, 1829-1865
- Folder MSBUS-20: papers relating to the estate of Dr Thomas Somerville, 1851-1861, including a statement of costs and income from sales of Dr Somerville’s [My Own] Life and Times [1741-1814] (1861), 1861
- Folder MSBUS-21: letters received by Mary [C] Somerville regarding financial transactions, with a draft of a reply, 1870-1873; letter from W.R. Mylne to [Martha] Somerville regarding the proceeds of the estate of Margaret Somerville, 20 Oct 1873; letter from James Graham to Woronzow Greig regarding terms used in the marriage settlement of [Agnes] Greig, 28 Nov 1865
- Folder MSBUS-22: list of woodcuts and their source [for On Molecular and Microscopic Science?] in Mary’s hand, n.d. [c.1869]; legal opinion in the case of Miss Campbell, 3 Aug 1840; draft of a letter to Lord B[rougham] from M[artha] Somerville regarding an addition to her pension, n.d. [1877?]
- Folder MSBUS-23: letter from John Phin to James C. Somerville, 10 Jan 1839, enclosing copies of correspondence between himself and Henry Fairfax, Dec 1838, regarding a debt owed by Fairfax to Somerville
- Folder MSCB-1: letters received by William Somerville from Matthew Bell and related papers concerning land owned by Somerville in Canada, and a claim for the repayment of a debt owed by Somerville to William Wilson, 1819-1849
- Folder MSCB-2: letters received by Woronzow Greig and related papers concerning land owned by William Somerville in Canada, and a claim for the repayment of a debt owed by Somerville to William Wilson, 1836-1859 and n.d.
- Folder MSCB-3: letters received by William Somerville and related papers concerning land owned by him in Canada, and a claim for the repayment of a debt owed by him to William Wilson, 1835-1863 and n.d.
- 1806-[1877?] and n.d.
1 box (15 folders)
Dep. c. 374