Letters received by Woronzow and Agnes Greig and others, mainly from Mary and her daughter, Martha, and papers relating to the Fairfax and Somerville families, 1837-1872 and n.d.
(formerly part of Dep. b. 206)
Folder MSIF2-36: letters from Mary and William Somerville to Woronzow and Agnes Greig and others, 1844-1854
Folder MSIF2-37: letters from Mary to Woronzow, 1855-1860
Folder MSIF2-38: fragment of a letter in Mary's hand, in response to a letter from Henry [Fairfax] informing her of his intention to join the mission of Sir [Henry] B[artle] F[rere], [colonial administrator], to Zanzibar for the suppression of the slave trade, n.d. , no addressee, with an envelope addressed to Captain Fairfax, RN, postmarked 29 Apr 1872, and a note stating that the letter was the last written by Mary, left unfinished at the time of her death
Folder MSIF2-39: letters from Martha and Mary C Somerville to Woronzow Greig, 1854-1855 and n.d.
Folder MSIF2-40: loose papers from notebook (MSIF2-41 below), including:
- incomplete ‘Biography of Ada Augusta Byron Countess of Lovelace’, in the hand of Woronzow Greig, n.d. [c.1852?]
- sketch of and notes relating to the Greig / Fairfax / Charters arms, n.d.
- notes on his grandfather, [Sir William G. Fairfax], in the hand of Woronzow Greig, n.d.
- extract by William Somerville from the manuscript memoirs of his father, 21 Jun 1821, regarding his wife’s admiration for Walter Scott, n.d.
Folder MSIF2-41: notebook kept by Woronzow Greig containing ‘Conversations with my Mother at Chelsea’, Jan-Feb 1837, and ‘My Grandfather’s history from my Mother’, 6 Feb 1837
- Creation: 1837-1872 and n.d.
1 box (6 folders)
Language of Materials
Dep. b. 206a