Correspondence and papers of the Greig and Somerville families, bulk: Bulk, 1745-1879, 1745-1958 and n.d. (Bulk, 1745-1879)
Folder MSFP-43: letters received by Mary and Woronzow Greig from Thomas Somerville, 1821-1829 and n.d., with an autograph of his wife, Martha
Folder MSFP-44: letters from Mary to Thomas Somerville, 1807-1825 and n.d.
Folder MSFP-45: correspondence and papers, mainly concerning the Somerville family, 1795-1856 and n.d., including:
- letter from William Somerville to Thomas Somerville containing an account of the occupation by the British of the Cape [Colony] and related matters, 17 Sep 1795
- brief history of the Somerville family, signed by William Somerville, 13 Sep 1850
- memoir of Thomas Somerville by William Somerville, 14 Aug 1856
- description of Thomas Somerville's deathbed in the hand of William Somerville, n.d.
- fragmentary memorial concerning William George Fairfax in the hand of William Somerville, n.d.
Folder MSFP-46: letters received by William Somerville from Thomas Somerville, 1815-1830 and n.d.
Folder MSFP-47: papers of and relating to Thomas Somerville and the Somerville family, 1800-1829 and n.d., including:
- 'Anecdotes from L. Macarteney relative to the present reign', Jun 1800
- 'Anecdotes – Deaths etc [?] copied from my almanacks in which they were recorded at the time of their occurrence', n.d. [c.1820]
- memoir regarding friends and relations, 16 Mar 1827
- copy of a letter from Thomas Somerville to the editor of the Edinburgh Courant regarding an erroneous report which had appeared in the paper about a performance of the ‘Tragedy of Douglas’ in the Canongate Theatre, Edinburgh, in 1768, 30 Jan 1829
Folder MSFP-48: letters received by Thomas Somerville and related papers, 1768-1798 and n.d.
Folder MSFP-49: papers relating to the Somerville family, c.1700-1860, comprising
- 'A short memorial of the Sommervilles of Camnethan in County of Lanerk', n.d. [c.1700]
- letter from [Lord] Somervell, [commanding government forces at Berwick during the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745] to [William] Som[erville, father of Thomas Somerville], urging him to report any observations on the movements of the rebels, 23 (no month) 1745
- draft text of an inscription for William Somerville’s headstone, n.d. [c.1860]
Folder MSFP-50: papers relating to William Somerville, father of Thomas Somerville, and the Somerville family, 1720-1795 and n.d., including a licence to preach issued to William Summervil, 4 Oct 1720, and a sketch of the Somerville arms with notes in Mary’s hand, n.d.
Folder MSFP-51: letters received by Woronzow Greig from [Admiral] A[lexis] Greig and related papers, 1827-1843
Folder MSFP-52: letters received by Woronzow and Agnes Greig and James Graham, mainly from members of the Greig family, 1841-1874
Folder MSFP-53: correspondence of, and papers relating to the Greig family, 1792-1958 and n.d., including:
- letters received by Woronzow Greig from A[lexis] Greig and his wife, Julia, 1836-1837
- translation into English of a letter from Woronzow Greig to A[lexis] Greig, appointing him a trustee for his affairs in Russia, 23 Oct/4 Nov 1834
- draft petition by Woronzow Greig to [His] Imperial Majesty concerning claims for a debt due by his late father to the Russian government, 12 Oct 1829 [c.1837]
- translation into English of claims made by Mary against the Admiralty in connection with her late husband, n.d. [c.1829]
- Greig family accounts, n.d.
- papers and newspaper cuttings relating to Admiral Sir Samuel Greig and his family, 1874-1958 and n.d.
Folder MSFP-54: letters from [Admiral] A[lexis] Greig to Mary, 1832-1839; letter from P.Y. Fuss [?] to Admiral Greig in answer to queries made by him on behalf of Mary, 12 Oct 1835 [in French]
Folder MSFP-55: letters from Mary to James Somerville and Mrs [A.C.] Somerville, 1818 and n.d. [1835?]
Folder MSFP-56: letters of condolence received by Martha and Mary Somerville on the death of their mother and other papers, 1872-1877 and n.d., comprising
- letters received from G[?] Acton, L. de St. Aessino, D. Pedro d’Alcantara, A. Balbivino, Adela Bossipner [?], W. Cobbe, Enrico Cosentini, T. Doria [?], Edward Dunkin for the Royal Astronomical Society, Jane Ely, Thomas Fairfax, William Fairfax, S. Gassiot, [Agnes] Greig, M. Hewlett, J.D. Hope, Susan Horner, Harford, Elisa Lancaster, M. Loyd, V. Lucchesi, J. Ludolf, Katherine M. Lyell, K. Malcolm, E. Miniscalchi, Dora de Montmorency, Sofia di Nabri, Irving, G.A. Pasquale, J.B. Pentland, Ellen Plowden, Carlo Poicio, Mary Quentin, A. Raumont, W.T. Rice, J. Spalletti, L. Spalletti and others, 1872-1877 and n.d.
- press cuttings of notices of Mary’s death, Dec 1872
- list of pictures and other belongings of Mary and her daughters at 5 Crawley Place, [the home of Agnes Greig], Jan 1872
- letter from John Y. Rutherford to Martha Somerville regarding a painting of the manse at Jedburgh, 7 Sep 1875
- list of Italian villages and sights, n.d.
Folder MSFP-57: letters received by Martha Somerville, 1875-1879 and n.d., including letters of condolence on the death of her sister, Mary, in 1875
- Creation: Creation: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1745-1879
- Creation: Creation: 1745-1958 and n.d. (Bulk, 1745-1879)
1 box (15 folders)
Language of Materials
Dep. c. 360