Correspondence and papers of the Fairfax, Charters, Greig, Somerville, Graham and Williamson Ramsay families, 1729-1901 and n.d.
Folder MSFP2-58: correspondence of William George Fairfax, [Mary’s father], and papers relating to his naval career, 1798-1845 and n.d., including:
- letters from Earl Spencer, Admiralty, to Sir William George Fairfax, concerning the award of a gold medal in commemoration of the victory over the Dutch [at Camperdown], 18 Jan 1798, and his appointment as Colonel of Marines, 14 Feb 1799
- letters from William George Fairfax in the 'Venerable' to William Henry Charters, [his brother in law], concerning the loss of a member of the crew, 8 and 20 Jun 1799
- letter from Robert H. Inglis to [Woronzow Greig] containing a transcription of a poem, ‘The Fight off Camperdown’, written by Lord Wellesley, 15 Jan 1845, with notes by Woronzow Greig describing an incident concerning his grandfather at a dinner given by the East India Company to [Admiral] Duncan and his officers after the Battle of Camperdown
- 'Key to The Camperdown Print', relating to a print by [John] Copley, n.d.
- memoir of Admiral Sir William Fairfax and Mary Somerville [by Vice Admiral Sir Henry Hotham], also relating to petitions for the award of a baronetcy to Henry Fairfax, [son of William George Fairfax], 1836
(For folder MSFP2-59 see Dep. b. 205*)
Folder MSFP2-60: letters received by and papers relating to Margaret, Lady Fairfax, 1812-1832, including:
- letters from William Somerville, Woronzow Greig and Henry Fairfax to Lady Fairfax, 1812-1832
- memorandum of Margaret Fairfax regarding her wishes in the event of her death, 5 Aug 1823
- 'Minute at opening the Repositories of the late Lady Fairfax at her home No 6 Nelson Street' listing the contents of Lady Fairfax’s writing desk, 28 Nov 1832
- Douglas-Scott-Charters-Fairfax pedigree, family trees and related papers, n.d. [c.1830-1862]
Folder MSFP2-61: letters received by Jane Williamson Ramsay, Elizabeth Ramsay, Miss Williamson and the Misses Williamson Ramsay from Mary and William Somerville, and related papers, 1837-1861 and n.d. [c.1829-1861]
Folder MSFP2-62: letters received by [Mary’s brother], Captain [later Sir] Henry Fairfax and his family, many from Mary, and related papers, 1831-1855 and n.d., including correspondence and papers relating to the award to Henry of a baronetcy, 1836 and n.d.
Folder MSFP2-63: letters from Mary to [her nephews], William George [later Sir William] and Tom Fairfax, -1871; letters and notes on family history received by William George Fairfax from Christian Charters Leven, 1874-1901; letter from John C. Fairfax to Sir William Ramsay Fairfax concerning impostors using the Fairfax name in Virginia, 7 Mar 1888
Folder MSFP2-64: letters received by Captain Henry Fairfax, RN, [Mary’s nephew], 1863-1872 and n.d., from correspondents including Mary and Woronzow and Agnes Greig
Folder MSFP2-65: letters from H[arriet] Fairfax, [wife of Captain Henry Fairfax, RN], to Jane [Ramsay], 21 Jan , and to Agnes Greig, 24 Jan 1872; letters from Henry and Thomas Fairfax to Woronzow Greig concerning the illness and death of their father, Sir Henry, Jan-Feb 1860; letter from S[arah] Fairfax, [second wife of Sir Henry], to [Captain] Henry [Fairfax], 16 Nov 1861; letter from Agnes Greig to [her brother], James, 19 Feb 1860
Folder MSFP2-66: marriage contract of William Roxburgh and Margaret Greig, 17 Oct 1729; last will and testament of Martha Charters Somerville, 10 Oct 1879; list of jewellery in the hand of Agnes Greig, 1862; short story about the adventures of an English family in Milan, probably in the hand of Martha Somerville, n.d; copy of an unsigned letter to [William] Somerville regarding an order for £1000 which the writer is sending as partial repayment of a debt, 22 Jul 1830
Folder MSFP2-67: letters from Princess Matilda de Reuss Köstritz to Woronzow Greig, n.d. [c.1855-1862]
Folder MSFP2-68: letters received by Woronzow Greig, 1842-1862 and n.d., from correspondents including William Macpherson
Folder MSFP2-69: accounts of Woronzow Greig relating to Russian property, 1827-1832; letters from relatives in St Petersburg to Woronzow Greig, 1848-1860; letter from S[amuel?] Greig, St Petersburg, to Captain [Henry] Fairfax, 6/18 Jul 1875; letters from W. Greig, St Petersburg, to Sir William Ramsay Fairfax, 1900-1901
Folder MSFP2-70: correspondence and papers relating to Admiral Samuel Greig and his family, 1765-1804 and n.d, including:
- translations from Russian of letters concerning naval matters received by Admiral Greig from Catherine II, 1773-1788, possibly in the hand of A[dam] Armstrong, [former tutor to the Greig family in Russia]
- letter from Armstrong to an unnamed recipient containing an account of Admiral Samuel Greig, 29 Jul 1804
Folder MSFP2-71: Notebook containing ‘The Life of Admiral Sir Samuel Greig’, in the hand of Woronzow Greig and signed by him, Dec 1840
- Creation: 1729-1901 and n.d.
1 box (13 folders)
Language of Materials
Dep. b. 205