Correspondence and papers of the Fairfax, Greig, Somerville, Graham and Williamson Ramsay families, bulk: Bulk, 1801-1878, 1801-1957 and n.d. (Bulk 1801-1878)
Folder MSFP-30: correspondence and papers of Woronzow Greig and related papers, 1832-1853 and n.d., including:
- letter of condolence from Woronzow Greig to Montgomerie [Fairfax] on the death of her father, 4 Nov 1838
- letters from John Paterson, 1841-50
- letters from C. Riddell, regarding financial and other matters, 1851-1853
- draft announcement in the hand of Woronzow Greig of a prize of £100 for the best essay on the subject of tests to ascertain the development of moral and intellectual faculties, 1840
Folder MSFP-31: letters received by Mary and her son, Woronzow Greig, and related papers, 1833-1872 and n.d., including:
- letters from James Arthur Wilson, MD, to Mary containing family news and referring to the burial of Mary's sister, Margaret, in Mickleham churchyard in 1808, 1870-1872
- letters from H.P. Hamilton to Woronzow Greig, 1833-1836, including one of congratulation on his forthcoming marriage, 29 Mar 1836
- verses, including 'Remembrance of Mrs Somerville...' , [c.1842]
Folder MSFP-32: letters received by Agnes Greig (formerly Graham), and text of a funeral sermon, 1837-1869 and n.d.
Folder MSFP-33: letters received by Martha Somerville, 1846-1878 and n.d.
Folder MSFP-34: letters received by Mary, Martha Somerville, Agnes Greig and others, 1838-1877 and n.d.
Folder MSFP-35: letters received by Mary, Martha Somerville, Woronzow Greig and others, 1811-1861 and n.d., including:
- letter from S. Groombridge, Blackheath, to Andrew Wallace regarding measurements of latitude and longitude and the observations of Dr [Nevil] Maskelyne, [Astronomer Royal], 1 Nov 1811
- letters from S[amuel] Charters to Woronzow Greig referring to a proposed patent for 'passing the Alps with a locomotive', and 'Babbage's opinion' on the proposal, 17 May 1847, and seeking Greig's opinion on the legality of his will, 13 Aug 1861
- letter to Mary from Messrs Forrestt and Son, Boatbuilders, wishing her and other ladies well with a sailing boat, 3 Nov 1865
Folder MSFP-36: letters from Thomas Fuller Samwell to Sir Henry Fairfax, 1842-1843
Folder MSFP-37: letters and papers, mainly relating to members of the Fairfax family, 1826-1957
Folder MSFP-38: letters received by William Somerville from his brother, S[amuel], and his wife, A.C. Somerville, 1810-[1825?], and a letter from S[amuel] to his father, [Thomas], 22 Jul 1817
Folder MSFP-39: copy of a letter from William Somerville to an unnamed correspondent, 25 Aug 1854; letter from William Somerville to Captain Sir William George Fairfax, 21 Jun 1860
Folder MSFP-40: letters and papers relating to Sir Henry and William G.H.T. Fairfax, 1827-1868, in particular to their military appointments, including:
- 'General Orders' given to Major H[enry] Fairfax by Major General Woodford, 16 Jan 1827
- letter from Robert Cole to Sir Henry Fairfax enclosing a facsimile of a letter from Flora MacDonald, [Jacobite heroine], to Innes and Clerk, Merchants, 23 Apr 1751, in his possession, 7 Mar 1845
- appointments of William G.H.T. Fairfax as ensign, lieutenant, and captain, 1851-1862
Folder MSFP-41: letters from [Adam Duncan, Viscount] Duncan and his wife, H[enrietta, Lady] Duncan, to Thomas and Mrs Williamson, 1802-1829 and n.d., regarding the illness of [the Duncans’ son?], Alexander, 1802, the birth of a grandson to the Williamsons, n.d. [c.1830] and other matters
Folder MSFP-42: papers concerning the genealogy of the Fairfax and related families and their property, 1852-1953 and n.d.
- Creation: Creation: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1801-1878
- Creation: Creation: 1801-1957 and n.d. (Bulk 1801-1878)
1 box (13 folders)
Language of Materials
Dep. c. 359