Miscellaneous literary papers, 1947-1967, n.d.
Dep. Chandler 11
Miscellaneous literary papers, comprising:
- (fols. 1-15) notes by S.S. Tyler, 1947-1953, n.d., on copyright in Chandler's works, including (fols. 1-2) The Big Sleep, 1947
- (fols. 16-147) stories, essays and articles by Chandler, 1949-1959, n.d., including i (fols. 16-23) 'Casual Notes on the Mystery Novel', 1949, a later version of 'Twelve Notes on the Mystery Story', see also Dep. Chandler 1, fols. 41-49; 2, fols. 83-87; ii (fols. 30-41) 'Juju Worship in Hollywood' , published as 'Oscar Night in Hollywood'; iii (fols. 42-52) 'The Long Green: Notes on Script', n.d.; iv (fols. 53-59) 'My Friend Luco', 1958, an article on Lucky Luciano, rejected by the Sunday Times; v (fols. 60-63) 'A Night with Carmichael and Grunion' ; vi (fols. 65-66) holograph, 'Dialog for "Playback" ', n.d., with (fols. 66-70) 'List of emendations to Playback', 1958; vii (fols. 71-89) 'The Poodle Springs Story', , printed in Raymond Chandler Speaking, pp.251-264; viii (fols. 90-110) 'A Routine to Shock the Neighbours', 1955, n.d., fols. 102-110 printed in The Notebooks, ed. cit.; ix (fols. 112-116) 'The Simple Art of Murder', 1950, 'Omnibus' version (Bruccoli C76); x (fols. 117-138) 'Ten Per Cent of Your Life', 1952
- (fols. 148-153) notes on 'cannibalized stories', 1934-1941, n.d.; see MacShane, Life, pp.67-69
- (fols. 154-161) book reviews by Chandler, 1948-1958, including (fols. 158-161) reviews of Ian Fleming, 1956-1958
- (fols. 162-171) a selection of verses for BBC radio, 'Personal Choice', 1958, with few amendments by Chandler, including (fol. 170) his own poem, 'Song Without Music' ['In Memoriam']
- (fols. 172-181) 'Chandler on Cats', selections from his letters made by K. Sorley Walker, 1967. A fuller version is printed in Raymond Chandler Speaking, pp.175-184
- (fols. 182-233) 'Titres refusés pour la S[erie] N[oire]', 1958, a list of books annotated by Chandler
- 1947-1967, n.d.
Dep. Chandler 11