Notebook, 1936-1944, n.d.
Notebook, mainly typescript, with some holograph amendments and additional notes, including:
- (fols. 1-5) a list of possible titles for books and stories
- (fols. 7-10, 30) a collection of 'Similes and Gags'
- (fol. 22) poem, 'Song at Parting', [1941?]
- (fols. 23-25) plans for future writing, 1939, printed in Raymond Chandler Speaking (1962), pp.207-209
- (fol. 29) 'Descriptive Note', later used in Farewell My Lovely
- (fol. 36) outline of 'Professor Bingo's Snuff', 1943
- (fols. 41-49) 'Twelve Notes on the Mystery Story', a version of 'Casual Notes on the Mystery Novel'; see also Dep. Chandler 2, fols. 83-88; 11, fols. 16-23
- (fols. 53-55) notes on slang terms
- (fols. 57-62) 'Notes... on English and American Style', printed in Raymond Chandler Speaking, pp.80-82
- (fol. 65) 'Grandma's Boy', outline of an unwritten story
- (fols. 70-81) extracts copied from novels and newspapers, 1936-1939, n.d.
Selections from the notebook were published by Frank MacShane in The Notebooks of Raymond Chandler (London, 1977).
- Creation: 1936-1944, n.d.
Language of Materials
Dep. Chandler 1