Commonplace book of William Thomas Bowles , containing historical and genealogical notes, with later additions by his son, William Lisle Bowles, and others, c.1763-1815
(fols. 63-113) are blank.
- (fols. 1-13, 41-46, 49-52) notes for a history of Barton Hartshorn, Buckinghamshire
- (fols. 14-20r) notes for a history of King's Sutton, Northamptonshire
- (fol. 20v) list of owners of the manor of Evenley, Northamptonshire
- (fols. 21-24) notes for a history of Imley, otherwise Evenley, Northamptonshire
- (fols. 23-32) genealogical notes on the Bowles family
- (fols. 34-39 r) 'A Terrier of Mr. Cartwright's farm in the occupation of W T Bowles, 1765'
- (fols. 39v-40r, 47-8) diary notes relating to type and quantity of fish added to various ponds and the number and type of trees on Barton Common, 1767-1768
- (fols. 53-61) copy of the will of Matthew Bowles, attorney at law, of Shaftesbury, Dorset, dated 1752, with a codicil dated 1763
- Creation: c.1763-1815
Language of Materials
MS. Don. e. 214
Armorial bookplate of 'Rev. Mr Bowles', on front pastedown. Inscription (fol. i) 'Magdalen Wake Daughter of Dr Wake of East Knoyle Wilt'. Armorial bookplate (fol. i) of B. Jones-Bateman. Booklabel of John Sparrow on front pastedown.
Blind-ruled and -stamped brown calf, shelfmark on front pastedown, 'AA7'.