Christian Democratic Union of Central Europe, 1955-1960
Language of Materials
Full range of shelfmarks:
Biographical / Historical
The CDUCE was established in Washington DC in July 1950 by the exiled representatives of Christian Democrat parties in Central Europe following their prohibition once Communist rule was imposed there. Its headquarters relocated to Paris following Stalin's death, and its English language publication, Christian Democratic Review, relocated to London. The CDUCE's political, journalistic and lobbying activity was focused mainly on fighting Communism, attacking the Soviet Union and liberating and democratising their countries. The CDUCE merged with other organisations to form the International Popular Christian Democratic Party in 1961, which later became the Centrist Democrat International [CDI] in 1999.