Additional material relating to John Henry Newman, 1843-2010
Held in our offsite storage facility
- Miscellaneous printed material relating to John Henry Newman, including: reprint from The Month, Sep 1906, with article 'Newman in Dublin' by John Hungerford Pollen, Aug 1890; printed booklet 'John Henry Newman Portraits', 1924 [some damp/mould damage]; printed booklet, 'Mary - The Second Eve, John Henry Newman' [extracts from his work] compiled by Sister Eileen Breen, 1983; and printed copy of 'Newman on Truth and Unity' ('Two homilies to mark the 150th Anniversary of John Henry Newman's Reception into the Catholic Church, 1845-1995' by Edward I. Cardinal Cassidy and Most Rev. Rhilip Boyce), International Centre of Newman Friends . Also includes printed Danish travelling guide Praktisk Lomme-Reiseroute... 'used by John Wynne (1819-1892)', annotated, 1843.
- 'Pollen Family: Cardinal Newman Addenda', including: newspaper cutting 'John Henry Newman by ILICO', [unknown newspaper], 6 Jul 1933; note of daily schedule by A.H. Pollen, with notes on reverse, Dec 1856; typescript transcript of letter from John Henry Newman to John Hungerford Pollen, 31 Mar 1865; page from 'The Graphic' regarding performance of 'Phormio' at the Edgbaston Oratory [Arthur Hungerford Pollen played Nausistrata], 13 Aug 1881; Anthony Pollen's notes on John Henry Newman, Jul 1889, with letter to Pollen from Arthur W. [Hutton], 29 Oct  and from Clement Y. Sturge, 26 Jul 1889 [article in Pall Mall]; photocopy of letter to Maria Hungerford Pollen from Anthony Pollen about John Henry Newman's death [14 Aug 1890]; and letter to Arthur Pollen from William P. Nevill, 7 Sep 1890.
- Golden Words of Thomas a Kempis, inscribed by John Henry Newman to Walter M. H. Pollen, 27 Mar 1877; and The Dream of Gerontius, inscribed by Newman, 13 Jul 1888.
- Printed booklet 'A Dearly Ransomed Soul at the Grave of Cardinal Newman', Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co. Ltd. .
- Printed articles and newspaper cuttings regarding University Church, Dublin, including: church guide by Robert F. Wilson, inscribed to Maria Hungerford Pollen, 1916; '7 Pictorial Post Cards of University Church, Dublin. (Newman's Church.)', black and white, one posted to Rev. Father Anthony by 'P.B.' ; page of typescript notes 'drafted for the book but dropped on the grounds that one page of J.H.P. was enough', n.d.; newspaper cutting 'University Church: The Ideals of Newman in Irish Marble' from The Irish Times, 22 Oct [n.d.]; and colour photocopy of a Homily for John Henry Newman by the Very Rev. Gerard Deighan, from CatholicVoice, 10 Oct 2010.
1 box (5 folders)
Language of Materials