Anthropological papers, 1916-1963
Comprises papers concerning an article by Mathews entitled 'Notes on the Nungu Tribe, Nassarawa Province, Northern Nigeria, and the neighbouring tribes which use the duodecimal system of numeration', and two copies of a reprint of the article, unfoliated:
- (Fols. 1-3) Notes in Mathews's hand on the duodecimal system of numeration in various tribes of Nassarawa Province, n.d.
- (Fols. 4-5) Letter from E.A. Horton, Peabody Museum of Harvard University, about the manuscript of the article and photographs to illustrate it, 31 Aug 
- (Fols. 5v) Letter from Dr. R.R. Marett, Oxford, to Mathews about Horton's letter, 15 Oct 1916
- (Fols. 6-10) Extract from Mathews's Annual Report on Keffi Division, concerning the duodecimal system in certain tribes, 1917
- (Fols. 11-23) Latters about the article from E.A. Horton; Professor Henry Balfour; R.R. Marett; H.L. Norton Traill, Acting Resident, Massarawa; E.C. Pickwoad, for the Secretary, Northern Provinces; H.B. Dickens, Wamba, 6 Feb 1917-24 Mar 1919
- (Fols. 24-27) Notes by Mathews on an article by Balfour on 'Modern Brass-Casting in West Africa' (2 copies). These pages were found inside the cover of the reprint, n.d.
- (Fols. 28-48) A later correspondence, concerning a possible solution of the problem of the origin of duodecimal numeration in certain Nigerian tribes, between Mathews and A.W.A. Spicer, Bromley Technical College; J.T. Christie, Principal of Jesus College, Oxford; Margery Perham, Nuffield College, Oxford; Professor L.R. Palmer, University of Oxford, M.M. Rix (?), University of Birmingham; E.G.G. Haig, Editor of The Nigerian Field. The draft of a paper on the subject by Mathews, accepted for publication by The Nigerian Field, is included (fols. 42-46); also (fol. 29) a cutting from The Observer on 'The Decimal Dilemma' by D. St P. Barnard, 31 Jun 1961-27 Jan 1963
- Items 1 and 2 (unfoliated): Two copies of a reprint of Mathews's article from Harvard African Studies, vol. 1, both with minor corrections in his hand, 1917
Language of Materials
MSS. Afr. s. 783 box 2, file 4