Colonial Empire Union, Colonial League, Colonial Office and Service and Secretaries of State for the Colonies, 1903-1944
MSS. Lugard 146
- File 1, fols. 1-97: Colonial Empire Union - correspondence and related papers about its foundation and an article by Lugard in the Spectator, 1936-1938.
- File 2, fols. 1-84: Colonial League - correspondence, newspaper cuttings, brochures and other literature of the League, with Lugard's proposed foreword to a book by Ferdinand Joelson, 1938-1942.
- File 3, fols. 1-38: Colonial Office and Service I - correspondence about proposed Colonial Office reforms, with notes on the department and on a despatch of 30 May 1929. 1926-1927 and 1943.
- File 4, item 1: Colonial Office and Service II - confidential despatch from the Chief Secretary to the Government of Burma to the Secretary to the Government of India "on the subject of illicit connections between European officers and Burmese women in Burma", 1903. Lugard had marked this "Strictly Confidential" and had obliterated many passages.
- File 5, fols. 1-16: Colonial Office and Service III - memorandum on "The System under which large Public Works are carried out in the Crown Colonies", n.d.
- File 6, fols. 1-25: Colonial Office and Service IV - correspondence about the training of colonial officers and the courses at Oxford, Cambridge and London Universities, 1927-1931.
- File 7, item 1: Colonial Office and Service V - report of a committee set up to inquire into the working of the Tropical African Services Courses held at Oxford, Cambridge and in London, 1927.
- File 8, fols. 1-103 and items 1-3: memoranda by Lugard on aspects of colonial administration, 1929-1944. [These papers were used by Margery Perham when assessing his policy of indirect rule and its development after his retirement from the Colonial Service, therefore evaluation notes by her and her research assistant are attached.]
- File 9, fols.1-47: Records of Lugard's discussions with Secretaries of State for the Colonies, with related correspondence and additional notes by him, 1939-1943.
- Creation: 1903-1944
Language of Materials
MSS. Lugard 146