Original Letters of late 18th and early 19th century British authors, collected by William Upcott, written in 1761-1824
Original Letters of late 18th and early 19th century British authors, collected by William Upcott, and arranged alphabetically in about 1830-35 (?), with many engraved portraits to illustrate them: many are letters to publishers, such as Messrs. Cadell and Davies, and many are addressed to Ozias Humphrey. The volume has an index of the names. The more important pieces are:
- Johnson, dr. Samuel, a note on the ramification of roots in language (fol. 48).
- Jones, sir William, 1773? (fol. 53).
- Kennicott, dr. Benjamin, Feb. 15, 1773 (fol. 59).
- Kippis, dr. Andrew, notes, 1784, etc. (fol. 68).
- Knox, Vicesimus, two, 1807-14 (fol. 88).
- Langhorne, John, March 15, 1767 (fol. 112).
- Lewis, Matthew Gregory, undated (fol. 147).
- Lodge, Edmund, Sept. 24, 1814 (fol. 154).
- Lowth, bp. Robert, Sept. 27, 1771 (fol. 164).
- Lysons, Daniel, undated (fol. 167).
- Lysons, Samuel, April, 1810 (fol. 169).
- Maclaine, Archibald, four, 1766-98 (fol. 188).
- Malone, Edmund, three, 1793-1803 (fol. 223).
- Maltby, bp. Edward, undated (fol. 234).
- Maseres, baron Francis, two, 1787-1824 (fol. 254).
- Mavor, dr. William, June 13, 1807 (fol. 289).
- Mickle, William Julius, June 20, 1776 (fol. 306).
- Monboddo, lord, i.e. James Burnett, March 17, 1795 (fol. 324).
- Monk, bp. James Henry, two, 1813 (fol. 330).
- Mure, Hannah, two, 1785, etc. (fol. 361).
- Creation: written in 1761-1824
Language of Materials
MS. Montagu d. 8
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 25434.
Lot 422 in the Upcott sale June, 1846.
10 3/4 × 8 3/4 in.