'Original Letters collected by William Upcott... Poets... 1824.', 19th century
'Original Letters collected by William Upcott... Poets... 1824.' Letters of British poets who died before 1824, with a few facsimiles, arranged in chronological order and generally illustrated by engraved portraits. An index of names and a note by Upcott begin the volume. The most important pieces are as follows:
- Pratt, Samuel Jackson, nine, 1802-9 (fol. 33).
- Wodhull, Michael, two, 1803-4 (fol. 60).
- Beloe, William, undated (fol. 69).
- Wolcot, John (Peter Pindar), Jan. 6, 1806, with six sonnets (fol. 70).
- Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft, undated (fol. 97).
- Shelley, Percy Bysshe, Dec. 23, 1817 (fol. 99).
- Combe, William, 1817 (?) (fol. 102).
- Bloomfield, Robert, three, 1804-6 (fol. 104).
- Burges, sir James Bland, four, 1807-8 (fol. 142).
- Creation: 19th century
Language of Materials
MS. Montagu d. 3
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 25429.
Part of lot 496 in the Upcott sale in 1846.
Old (until about 1890) MS. Montagu no. 29 (part).
10 3/4 × 8 3/4 in.