Miscellaneous Devonshire papers and letters, the chief of which are, written chiefly in the 18th cent.
- (fol. 2) an alphabetical list of Devon benefices, with their incumbents in 1762, dates of their appointment, the patrons and values
- (fols. 13, 43) papers about a parish rate at Woodbury, and about other estates and benefices appropriated to, or in the patronage of the officials of Exeter cathedral: partly in Dr. Milles's hand
- (fols. 30, 51) papers about the family of Holwell
- (fols. 37, 62) papers relating to the duties of prebends, seneschals, etc. of Exeter cathedral
- (fol. 53) two letters from Dr. William Musgrave, one about the Musgrave arms, Jan. 15, 1719/20, one to Michael van der Gucht, about an epitaph, Sept. 14, 1719
- (fol. 57) some extracts about Church ale and Bride ale
- (fol. 66) fols. 97-122 of a transcript of the Exeter Domesday book, containing nearly all the property of the bp. of Coutances in Somerset
- (fol. 93) copious notes and extracts from the Liber Eliensis (Brit. MS. Cotton Tiberius A. vi), chiefly by Dr. Milles, in many places collated with the record of Domesday.
Also includes letters, etc. chiefly relating to Devonshire, the more important of which are:
- (fol. 151) copy of a letter from Roger Gale about Roman Ways in Devonshire, Sept. 5, 1709
- (fol. 154) letter from Beaupré Bell, jun. to Will. Stukeley, Oct. 16, 1736
- (fol. 158) letter from Rich. Holme, May 11, 1757
- (fol. 160) letter from J. Tanner about Wiltshire Hundreds, Aug. 9, 1757
- (fol. 164) papers relating to the settling of Dr. Milles's estate after his death, 1784-5.
- Creation: written chiefly in the 18th cent.
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
MS. Top. Devon b. 7
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 22771
16 1/4 × 11 1/8 in.