Common-place book of Dr. Samuel Pegge the elder: Extracts, notes and correspondence, vol I, written chiefly in about 1750-1790 by Samuel Pegge
Extracts, notes and correspondence chiefly relating to English history and archcæology, quite miscellaneous in character and incapable of summary treatment; but each volume has a list of contents prefixed. There are also many original papers, among which are:
- three letters from Dr. J. Chelsum, 1774-1775 (p. 17);
- several letters from J. Bradley of Lincoln, 1764-1773 (p. 37, etc.: MS. Add. C. 244, p. 57);
- several letters from Benjamin Ray of Spalding, 1738-1756 (p. 165; MS. Add. C. 244, p. 341);
- signatures of lord Burghley and sir Roger Cave, 1593 (pp. 369, 373);
- 'a particular of the goodes & debtes of Mr. Lawrence Clarke parson of Staveley' at his death in 1581 (p. 379);
- genealogies of the Eyre family to about 1750 (p. 407);
- three letters from Lewis Morris on Geoffrey of Monmouth, etc., 1760 (p. 485);
- the 'Case of Brampton' in Derbyshire (p. 673).
- Creation: written chiefly in about 1750-1790 by Samuel Pegge
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
MS. Add. C. 242
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 28085.
13 5/8 × 8 3/4 in.