Volume of Correspondence relating to John Hutchins's History of Dorsetshire, written in 1757-1816
Volume of Correspondence relating to John Hutchins's History of Dorsetshire: letters and papers addressed partly to the author (who died on June 21, 1773) and partly to R. Gough, relative to the first edition (published in 1774), arranged in alphabetical order of writers, but there appear to be large deficiencies in the latter half of the alphabet. Among the writers are:
- Baker, Samuel, literary auctioneer, July 22, 1774 (fol. 9).
- Bingham, George, six, 1770-74 (fol. 16).
- Borlase, William, two, 1766 (fol. 27).
- Campbell, Alexander, five, 1772-3 (fol. 36).
- Giles, Humphrey, nineteen, 1771-74 (fol. 63).
- Godwyn, Charles, thirty-one. 1757-69 (fol. 92).
- Gough, Richard, many drafts of letters and some originals, 1767-73 (fol. 142, etc.).
- Gould, Samuel, six, 1774 (fol. 197).
- Hutchins, John, twenty-five, 1767-71 (fol. 222).
- Lyttellon, bp. Charles, nine, 1761-66 (fol. 292).
- Milles, Jeremiah, four, 1762-74 (fol. 315).
- Morant, Philip, one, May 13, 1766 (fol. 325).
- Nichols, John, eleven, 1774 (fol. 334).
- Prince, Daniel, Oxford printer, six, 1763-73 (fol. 359).
- Shaftesbury, lord, i.e. Anthony Ashley Cooper 'd. 1771), July 11, 1766 (fol. 370).
- Creation: written in 1757-1816
Language of Materials
MS. Top. Gen. d. 2
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 25532.
Lot 976 in the Gough Nichols sale, 1874.
Gough Nichols coll. vol. no. 23 (from 1874 to about 1884).
11 × 8 1/2 in.