Notes of antiquarian tours through the counties of England, written in 1759-1771 by R. Gough
Notes of antiquarian tours through the counties of England, undertaken by Richard Gough in 1759-71 (Nichols, Literary Anecdotes, vi. 269 note), with a short index of places. There are many drawings or etchings of churches, of views, and of monumental and architectural details.
- Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (1769; fol. 14);
- Herefordshire (1770; fol. 152);
- Hertfordshire (1760; fols. 259, 342);
- at fol. 317 is 'a Survey of the Church of South Mims in ... Middlesex, Oct. 3, 1764', revised in 1787, 1789, 1796;
- Huntingdonshire (1763? fol. 397).
- Creation: written in 1759-1771 by R. Gough
Language of Materials
MS. Top. Gen. e. 19
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 25513.
Lot 973 in the Gough Nichols sale, 1874.
Gough Nichols coll. vol. no. 4 (from 1874 to about 1884).
about 8 1/2 × 6 3/4 in.