Collection of five English items, Written in about 1640
MS. Ballard 52
- Fol. 1. 'An deuise of a Seaman touching the expedition intended against the Turkish Pyrates, written by Nathaniell Knott gent... 1634.'
- Fol. 22. 'A breife discourse of the voyadge made by the English who were sent ouer for the releife of the French King vnder the leading of the L. Willoughbie', 1589: beg. 'In the one & 30th yeare.'
- Fol. 34. 'The Voyadge to Calis [Cadiz] in Andaluzia faithfully related by sr W. Slyngisbie employed in that seruice', 1596: beg. 'In the year 1596 the Queenes Maiestie.'
- Fol. 64. 'A true relation of the voyage to the Iles of Azores ... vnder the ... Earle of Essex ... in ... 1597 ... collected and written ... by sr Arthur Gorges ...'
- Fol. 125. 'Obseruations and ventures concerning the royall nauye and sea seruice' in the time of James I: beg. 'To writt of matters concerning our shipping.'
- Written in about 1640
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This material is fragile. To ensure its availability to future readers, access to this material is restricted. Readers are asked to work from reproductions and published descriptions as far as possible. To apply to see the original, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining the subject of your research, the importance of this material to that research, and the resources you have already consulted. Please also tell us about the timeframe for your project, if any, and when you hope to visit.
MS. Ballard 52
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 10838
11 1/2 × 8 in.