Historical notes from MSS. in the Royal and Cottonian libraries, Written about 1625-1638 by Richard James
Historical notes from MSS. in the Royal and Cottonian libraries:
- P. 1. 'Ex Reginaldi epistolis de tempore Baldwini archiepiscopi', from MS. Lambeth 415, printed in Epistolae Cantuarienses in the Rolls Series
- P. 25. notes from the 'de antiquitate Glastoniensis ecclesie', which exists in numerous MSS.
- P. 32. extracts from the Panormia of Ivo of Chartres in the Royal library (11 B. xiii), followed by excerpts headed, 'in decretorum antiqua expositione' from a 'glossa ordinaria' on Gratian in another Royal MS. (p. 36)
- P. 44. 'Gesta sancti Ludovici et regis Philippi eius primogeniti' by Guillaume de Nangis, from Royal MS. 13 B. xi, and extracts from the Latin metrical life of saint Hugh of Lincoln, in Royal MS. 13 A. iv (p. 51)
- P. 54. notes from 'sententiae magistri Roberti Pulli sancte Romanae ecclesiae presbyteri cardinalis et cancellarii' in Royal MS. 10 B. v, and notes from the codex (Royal MS. 13 E. ix) written by Thomas Walsingham (p. 61)
- P. 63. extracts from Goldast, followed (p. 77) by notes from the 'Libel of English Policy' in Cott. MS. Vitell. E. x, for which see Wright's Political Songs (Rolls Series), ii. 157
- P. 94. extracts from Robert Keten's Latin translation of the Koran, made in 1143 and extant in many MSS., and (p. 98) extracts from 'registrum Glastoniense quod dicitur secretum abbatis MS. comitis Arundelliae', which is now MS. Wood empt. 1 in the Bodleian Library
- P. 109. excerpts from Bede's letter to bishop Ecgbert from 'MS. recent' magistri [Patrick] Younge' followed by notes from a MS. of John Capgrave 'de illustribus Henricis' said to be in the Royal library, but not now known to be there
- P. 150. extracts from chapter 1 of the French 'Jovencel' of Jean de Bueil, for MSS. of which see Delisle, Mélanges, pp. 338-40
- P. 155. 'ex registro Radulphi de Diceto in archivis sancti Pauli Lond.', being notes from 'Liber A sive pilosus' for which see Hist. MSS. Comm. Rep. ix, pt. i, p. 60
- P. 163. extracts from the chartulary of Burton-on-Trent penes lord Paget, edited in abstract for the William Salt Society by general Wriothesley
- P. 171. 12th-cent. historical extracts from 'MS. Cotton de iure papali quod cum altero volumine cum servatur [sic] Romae hoc Romae furto subtraxit servus illustrissimi equitis Henrici Wotton', followed by abstracts of 13th-16th-cent. papal bulls 'in thesaurariae archivis quorum custodiam habet magister Bradshawe'
- Creation: Written about 1625-1638 by Richard James
Language of Materials
MS. James 25
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol II no. 3862
8 1/2 × 6 3/5 in.