Historical notes from MSS. of Mr. Thomas Allen and at Bodley, Written about 1620-1634 by Richard James
Historical notes from MSS. of mr. Thomas Allen and at Bodley, including extracts from:
- P. 1. an Old English MS. at that time in the possession of mr. Thomas Allen but now Cott. MS. Titus A. iv in the British Museum, and Anglo-Saxon MSS. at Bodley, including (p. 23) MS. Bodl. 343 and (p. 31) MS. Bodl. 458-459
- P. 38. the chartularies of st. Frideswide's priory, lent to James by Christ Church, and Oseney abbey (p. 53)
- P. 68. the 'Proverbs of Alfred', hence printed in Mod. Lang. rev. xxi (1926), 256-7 (cp. p. 9 in H. D. South's edition of the Proverbs, 1931), and other MSS. in the possession of Thomas Allen among which are (p. 78) 'Historia Trium Magorum' which is not now known to exist (see Macray's Catalogue of Digby MSS., p. 251), 'Leges Howeli Dah, MS. Thome Alleni olim qui fuerat doctoris Johannis Dee', being an excerpt from a Latin version of the laws of Howel Dda (p. 84), followed by (p. 88) 12th-13th cent. historical notes from 'W. Wyrcestrensis Miscellanea' probably identical with MS. Digby no. 58 in the Catalogue of Digby MSS., p. 248
- P. 103. a MS. at Bodley of John Gower's Confessio Amantis in the first recension (cp. MS. Laud Misc. 609, MS. Bodl. 693, MS. Arch. Selden B. 11)
- P. 115. MSS. at New college, especially (p. 119) MS. Roe 29 'de proprietatibus apum'
- P. 132. MSS. at Bodley, including (p. 132) the sermons of Richard of Armagh (MS. Bodl. 865), and (p. 153) the Itinerarium of William Wey (MS. Bodl. 565), the latter printed for the Roxburghe Club (1857)
- Creation: Written about 1620-1634 by Richard James
Language of Materials
- English, Old (ca.450-1100)
MS. James 6
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol II no. 3843
8 2/5 × 6 3/10 in.