A register of Malmesbury abbey, Written in the 1st half of the 13th century in England
MS. Wood empt. 5
A register of Malmesbury abbey, co. Wilts., containing:
- Fol. 1. Documents relating to Richard, earl of Cornwall and king of the Romans, hence printed in Neues Archiv, xiii. 219-22
- Fol. 4. A sequence, beg. 'Ave gemma confessorum', with music, and a copy of an inquest held by William de Clifford upon the customs and services of the town of Malmesbury
- Fol. 5. A short commentary on 1 Samuel
- Fol. 9. Chapters xii-xlvi and lxiiii of the chartulary almost as printed in the Rolls series (see vol. ii, p. xxix) from a MS. in the Public record office
- Fol. 60. The life of st. Thomas of Canterbury by John of Salisbury
- Fol. 81. Alcuin's answers to the interrogatories of Siwlf, or Sigulf, the priest, upon Genesis, beg. 'Omnino dilectissimo in Christo'; followed by 'Questiones partim in Genesim partim in alios libros divinos', beg. 'Queritur quid in celi'
- Written in the 1st half of the 13th century in England
Language of Materials
MS. Wood empt. 5
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 8593
There is a late 14th-century table of contents at fol. 169. Commonplaces from the Fathers at fol. 171v are in the hand which has inserted marginalia throughout. The foliation is by Anthony à Wood.
On parchment, bound in contemporary white leather on boards
9 1/6 × 6 2/5 in.