Collection of four English MSS. in one volume, Written by Anthony à Wood between 1674 and 1692
(8535) A catalogue ('no. 6') 'out of mr. Barlowe's printed books', Sept.-Oct. 1692, and (p. 73) out of books in the Bodleian, written in 1692, 100 pages.
(8536) A list of plays, being 'no. 7' of Wood's catalogues, for which cf. MS. Wood E. 2, 'from the privat shop of Nicholas Cox manciple of S. Edmund Hall, Oxon., who had all or most of the playes from mr. Gerard Langbaine' (p. 1), preceded by a list of 'Places for acting plays in London' (p. i), and followed (p. 153) by an index of names. Written in 1684, 167 pages.
(8554) Copies, not by Wood, of (i) a letter from mr. Corker, a Roman Catholic priest, to a lady, in praise of dr. Oliver Plunket, titular primate of Ireland (d. 1681), and (ii) letters from dr. Plunket to mr. Corker, 1681. 'Copied for lord Arundel of Wardour' (fol. iv). Written about 1681, 39 pages.
(8560) Biographical notices preparatory to the Athenae of:
- Fol. 1. Robert Grossetête and his writings, from printed chronicles and MSS.
- Fol. 20. dr. [Peter] Heylyn, 'out of an account written by himself, to April 8, 1645', lent to Wood by mr. Henry Heylyn of Minster Lovel, his son, in 1673, and for which cf. the Register of Magdalen College, ed. J. R. Bloxam, v. 48
- Fol. 30. General Robert Blake and (fol. 32) Thomas Hobbes of Malmesbury from two letters sent by him to John Aubrey, dated at Hartwich, Mar. 5, 1677, and Chatsworth, Aug. 18, 1679
- Fol. 36. sir James Ley, William Fleetwood (fol. 36v), sir Anthony Browne (fol. 37), sir John Fitz-James (fol. 37v)
- Fol. 40. William Whittingham, dean of Durham (d. 1579)
- Fol. 51. William Lilly, the astrologer (d. 1681), from MS. Ashmole 421
- Fol. 75. sir William Dugdale
- Fol. 96. Charles i, entitled Carolina Threnodia, by Thomas Herbert, printed in Memoirs of the Martyr King by Alan Fea, which see, p. ix
Written about 1680, 165 leaves.
(8561) 'Catalogue of those manuscripts and other writings that are quoted in the Historie and Antiquities of the university of Oxford, published 1674.' 'Some there be put downe here but not quoted.' The list is arranged alphabetically under persons and places. Written after 1674, 263 leaves.
Labelled 8535 ('73')-8536 ('74'), 8554 ('92'), 8560 ('98')-8561 ('99')
- Creation: Written by Anthony à Wood between 1674 and 1692
Language of Materials
MS. Wood E. 4
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 8535-8536, 8554, 8560-8561
9 9/10 × 7 1/5 in.