English anthems, Latin motets and English hymns, written early in the 18th cent.
MS. Mus. d. 10
Comprises the following English anthems:
- Chr. Gibbons (three, 'Sing unto the Lord', 'Teach me, O Lord', 'How long wilt thou forget', fol. 32v)
- Michael Wise (one, 'I charge you', fol. 42v)
- John Jackson (two, 'Set up thyself', 'Let God arise', fol. 44)
- M. Locke (one, 'Lord, let me know', fol. 47)
- Isaac Blackwell (two, 'Behold, how good', 'Let my complaint', fol. 49v)
- J. Playford (four, 'Out of the deep', 'O be joyful', 'I am well pleased', 'O Lord, thou hast brought up', fol. 55v)
- Anonymous, imperfect (beg. 'God be merciful', fol. 2).
Comprises the Latin motets by the following authors:
- Richard Dering (eight, fol. 3)
- Henry Laws (one, 'Quis sicut Dominus', fol. 11)
- George Jeffreys (one, 'Erit gloria', fol. 12)
- Christopher Gibbons (one, 'Celebrate Dominum', fol. 13v)
- Benj. Rogers (four, fol. 16)
- M. Locke (five, fol. 22v)
- One anonymous ('Laudate Dominum', fol. 64v).
Also comprises the following English hymns:
- Two anonymous ('Lift up your heads', fol. 36; 'Let all with sweet accord', fol. 39v)
- Hymn by I. Blackwell ('See, sinful soul', fol. 52V)
- Hymn by M. Locke ('O how pleasant', fol. 54).
Some imperfect pieces and leaves are at the end.
- written early in the 18th cent.
Language of Materials
English , Latin
MS. Mus. d. 10
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 16715
9 1/4 × 12 in.