Cantatas, 18th cent.
Cantatas, made up of several MSS., comprising:
- (fol. 2). 'Celestial muse that dost command.'
- (fol. 9). A dirge for Romeo and Juliet ('Rise, rise, heartbreaking sighs')
- (fol. 21). A dialogue ('Did you not once, Lucinda, vow', words by Dryden)
- (fol. 30). Thyrsis ('Thus on a bed')
- (fol. 44). Corydon and Miranda, a pastoral interlude ('It must be so')
- (fol. 70). Deidamia's Parting with Achilles, a song by dr. W. Boyce: perhaps autograph, signed 'Wm. Boyce.'
- (fol. 76). Danae ('By Danae's progeny')
- (fol. 85). 'The Rival Nations', no words
- (fols. 93, 95). 'Aria scotese' and another air
- (fols. 102, 121, 123v). Three cantatas by Francesco Gasparini ('Andate, o miei sospiri' sent to Al. Scarlatti: 'Astianatte', beg. 'Amo e sdegno': 'Astianatte', . 'II mio sposo'), (fols. 102-113) are in the same hand
- (fol. 105v). 'Risposta del Allesandro Scarlatti a Gasparini con Idea humana' and (fol. 110v) '... con Idea inumana.'
- (fol. 114). Two cantatas by A. Scarlatti ('Abandonato i solo' and 'Ora che' F verno')
- (fol. 125v). 'Da tuoi lumi' by Antonio Caldara
- (fol. 127). Two cantatas ('Lascia mi un sol momento' and one imperfect at beginning, beg. '-- dermi tradita cosi').
- Creation: 18th cent.
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
MS. Mus. c. 3
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 16682
12 1/2 × 9 1/8 in.