North-country antiquarian collections and notes from public records and Extracts by Dodsworth and North-country antiquarian collections, Written for the most part in 1635 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written in and before 1638 by Roger Dodsworth and others
MS. Dodsworth 153, 1635, 182 leaves: North-country antiquarian collections and notes from public records:
1. Notes from:
- Fol. 1. a calendar in the Treasury, by Scipio le Squyre, of de banco rolls 1-7 Ed. ii
- Fol. 35. inquisitiones post mortem, temp. Ed. iii
- Fol. 38v. a roll in a bag in the Treasury, containing copies of documents relating to the royal forests
- Fol. 39v. the close rolls of 40 Hen. iii and a calendar of plea rolls temp. Ed. iii
- Fol. 172. a year-book of 3 Ed. iii, lent to Dodsworth by mr. Gibson of York
- Fol. 180. St. Loo Kniveton's book 'AAA', from plea rolls 1 Hen. iv-1 Ed. vi, Nov. 15, 1627
2. Extracts from Duchy of Lancaster records, including:
- Fol. 13v. a Duchy chartulary
- Fols. 47v, 120. miscellaneous 14th-15th-cent. deeds kept in the Chancery office at Lancaster, some of which relate to Barton of Barton by Halsall and Rowall of Wimmarleigh
- Fol. 123. a Duchy of Lancaster fine roll 6-12 Hen. viii
- Church notes at Newchurch by Holcroft, and Farnworth, co. Lancs. (fol. 46)
- Notes from a visitation of Yorkshire in mr. Lilly's custody (fols. 51, 138)
- Pedigrees of Neville, earl of Westmorland (fol. 52v), Butler, earl of Ormond (fol. 53), Buckton of Hackness (fol. 54), Scarsbrook, Dodsworth, Stanley, to 1635 (fol. 55), Clayton (fol. 56v), and Pickering (fol. 57v)
4. Copies of deeds from:
- (fol. 61) the chartulary of the hospital of stt. John and James of Royston, co. Cambs., at that time penes John Wildbore of Foxton, gent., June 27, 1635, but not now known to exist, concerning land in Melbourn, co. Cambs.
- (fol. 73) 14th-16th-cent. muniments of Thomas Singleton of Steyning, co. Lancs., esq., with pedigree to 1635
- (fol. 81) 'Notes taken out of 45 peeces of evidences lent to me Roger Dodsworth, April, by John Atherton of Atherton, co. Lanc., esq., 1635', relating to land in Slingsby, West Litton, Skewsby, and deeds relating to the families of Barton of Fryton and Fairfax
There are also, a printed genealogy of the kings of Sweden (fol. 130), a copy of a life of st. Margaret, Queen of Scots: beg. 'Mortuo Edmundo rege' (fol. 144), and notes of the birthplace of some bishops, etc. (fol. 150).
There is an index nominum at fol. v by Dodsworth, who also wrote fols. 1-60, 63-73, 75, 81-5v.
MS. Dodsworth 154, 1638, 132 leaves: 1. Extracts by Dodsworth, without arrangement, out of St. Loo Kniveton's collections from calendars of public records in the Exchequer (fol. 1), including notes from the originalia rolls (fols. 50).
2. North-country antiquarian collections, of which the more important are:
- A list of the justices of Chester by John Boothe of Twemlow (fol. 89)
- Copies of deeds of sir Peter Frechwell (Freshvile), kt., of Staveley, co. Derby (manor of Staveley), 1626 (fol. 98)
- Pedigree of Ashley of Dorset 'ex ore Henrici Assheley dicti Captayne Assheley' (fol. 105)
- Copies signed by John Archer, April 1633, of 13th-14th-cent. deeds relating to the manor of Huddersfield, from a small parchment book of sir John Byron containing 331 charters (fol. 121)
There is an index nominum by Dodsworth at fol. v.
- Creation: Written for the most part in 1635 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written in and before 1638 by Roger Dodsworth and others
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 153, 154
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5094-5095
MS. Dodsworth 153: ('WW')
MS. Dodsworth 154: ('XX')
- MS. Dodsworth 154: See also Hunter's Three Catalogues , artt. 4, 8, 9.
8 1/5 × 6 1/5 in.