West Riding collections and Extracts from collections made about 1612 by St. Loo Kniveton, Written chiefly in 1629 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written about 1630-1635 by Roger Dodsworth
MS. Dodsworth 133, 1629, 151 leaves: West Riding collections (liberties of Pontefract and Wakefield) to illustrate the descent of Dodsworth, including copies and notes of documents from the archives of:
- Fol. 8. Edward Armitage of Keresforth by Barnsley, gent., being 15th-cent. charters and notes from court rolls of wapentake courts held at Barnsley, Monk-Bretton, 'Billingland', and 'Calthorn', 12 Ric. ii
- Fol. 12. sir Gervase Cutler of Stainbrough, for whom see also MS. Dodsworth 61, relating to the families of Dodworth and Everingham, with notes of a court roll from a copy endorsed 'de quinque primis curiis tentis apud Barnisley proximis post magnam pestilentiam, ut patet'
- Fol. 29v. Robert Wood of Barnsley, gent., being notes given by him to Dodsworth of copies of Pontefract deeds (14th-15th centt.)
- Fol. 32. Arthur Longley of Dalton, gent., Oct. 4, 1630, concerning the families of Fleming, Stocks, and Montague of Dalton, from temp. Ed. i
- Fol. 39. John Ramsden, esq., of Lascelles Hall, for the families of Dodsworth, Storthes of Storthes Hall, with pedigrees of Dodsworth and Barnby and (fol. 68) a calendar in Ramsden's possession from archives of Richard Pilkington, gent., of 15 deeds relating to Fountains abbey (land in Heton) with a narrative genealogy in French of Midhope and Bigot (fol. 70)
- Fol. 73v. Thomas Finey of Finey Hall in Almondbury, including deeds of Dodworth of Shelley
- Fol. 78., Thomas Bosewell [or Boseville], esq., of Newhall, Apr. 24, 1623, including court rolls of the manor of Woodhall in Darfield, from 15 Ed. iii
- Fol. 79. Richard Horsfield, esq., of Stockes Hall, including grants to Roche abbey in Thurstonland, and also land in Shelley, from the 13th cent.
- Fols. 85v, 100. sir Richard Beaumont, bart., of Whitley, including a rental of Almondbury, 3 Hen. vi (fol. 85v), and numerous deeds from the 13th cent. concerning land in Whitley, Huddersfield, and Metham, Lepton, Crosland, Newsome, with a pedigree of Beaumont and Ramsden to 1637 (fol. 135), brief notes from court rolls of Lepton, 25 Hen. vi to 38 Eliz. (fol. 137), and extracts from transcripts of grants to Byland abbey, in St. Mary's tower, York (fol. 139)
- Fol. 87. George Thurgarland of Lilley in Mirfield, for Thurgarland manor from 13th cent.
- Fol. 96. Thomas Thornhill, esq., of Fixby, concerning land in Fixby
There are also:
- notes from the Pontefract chartulary (fol. 1)
- a pedigree of Boseville from a transcript of a visitation (1584-5) 'made by Glover, Somerset Herold, being in the custody of Mr [Ralph] Broke, York Herold, July 1624, and since bought of the executors by Mr John Archer' (fols. 29, 94)
- notes of Keresforth arms and a pedigree to Nov. 26, 1629, from 'a painted clothe in Keresforth Hall' (fol. 31)
- a feodary of Wakefield, 19 Ed. iv, Huddersfield church notes (fol. 145)
- a pedigree of Hopton to 1634 (fol. 149v)
Index nominum on fol. v by Roger Dodsworth, who wrote the whole volume except fols. 49-51v, 52v-53v.
MS. Dodsworth 134, 1630-1635, 138 leaves: Extracts from collections made about 1612 by St. Loo Kniveton, from public records relating to Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, including a long series from the feet of fines 1 John-22 Ed. iv (fols. 1, 25, 37) and (fol. 131) from a calendar of the fine rolls ('ex magno libro de finibus in scaccario', etc.).
There are also notes:
- From the chartulary of Newstead, co. Notts., in the Exchequer (now K.R. Misc. Book, no. 24), 1612 (fol. 35v)
- From deeds at Thorp, co. Notts., relating to land in Winslow with pedigrees of Willoughby and Armstrong (fol. 126v)
- From charters penes Gervase Pygot of Thrumpton, co. Notts., 1612 (fol. 130)
- Notes from Burton's collections for Leicestershire (fol. 147)
The volume is by Dodsworth throughout: there is no index.
- Creation: Written chiefly in 1629 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written about 1630-1635 by Roger Dodsworth
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 133, 134
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5074-5075
MS. Dodsworth 133: ('K')
MS. Dodsworth 134: ('KK')
- MS. Dodsworth 133: See also Hunter's Three Catalogues , artt. 4, 6, 8, 9.
8 3/10 × 6 1/8 in.