Collections by Roger Dodsworth from the Duchy of Lancaster records and Collectanea 'ex bundellis escaetrium ... per Rogerum Dodsworth', Written in 1635-1636 and (art. 8) 1647, written in 1649 by R. Dodsworth and others
MS. Dodsworth 39, 1635-1636, 1647, 157 leaves: Collections by Roger Dodsworth from the Duchy of Lancaster records, and other sources:
- Fol. 5v. Extracts from a volume now in the P.R.O. (Duchy of Lancaster Knights' Fees 1/20) containing returns of aids in Duchy lands in Lincolnshire, 1401-2 and (fol. 8) 1324-5
- A partition of the knights' fees of Henry, duke of Lancaster (d. 1361) (fol. 10)
- Lists of knights' fees in Wiltshire, from the Testa de Nevil (fol. 11v)
- At fols. 15, 19 are short notes from the feodary of Henry, earl of Lancaster (Duchy of Lancaster Knights' Fees 1/11)
2. Fol. 17. Extracts from Duchy of Lancaster miscellaneous books, viz:
- Fol. 17. the Great coucher-book, vol. ii (miscell. book 2), chiefly charters relating to the honour of Bolingbroke, co. Lincoln
- Fol. 24v. the coucher-book of Kirkstall abbey, co. Yorks (miscell. book 7)
- Fol. 36. a chartulary of the manors of Daventry (Northants), Tingrith (Beds.), and Skirwith (Cumberland) (miscell. book 9)
- Fol. 38v. the coucher-book of Furness abbey, co. Lancs. (miscell. book 3) with (fol. 48) a pedigree of Harrington
3. Fol. 57. Extracts from the accounts of feodaries of the honour of Pontefract, 19 Edw. i-37 Hen. viii.
4. Fol. 79. List of vills and officers in the honours of Tutbury, High Peak, and Castle Donington; followed at fol. 83 by a curious account in English of the 'libertates et consuetudines diversarum [villarum] et liberorum tenentium infra honorem de Tutbury'. Both pieces recur in a late 16th-cent. Rawlinson manuscript (no. 12762, fols. 1, 13v).
5. Fol. 85. Extracts 'ex libro collectionum Arturi Agarde penes Randulphum Terrick de Lichfield gen., 17 Jan. 1635'. Agarde's sources are specified in Hunter's Three Catalogues, p. 120, the principal being:
- Fol. 90. original deeds of Wix priory, Essex, now among the Ancient Deeds, series A, in the Record Office
- Fol. 95v. a chartulary of Oseney abbey co. Oxon., now Cott. MS. Vitell. E xv and partly burnt
- Other items in this section are the foundation charters of the priories of Tutbury, co. Staffs. (fol. 89v), and of Coventry, co. Warwick (fol. 103)
- Pedigrees by Dodsworth of the families of Pecche (fol. 94v), and of Boby and Paynell of Botheby (fol. 98v)
6. Fol. 107. Collections relating to Cheshire, viz.:
- Fol. 107. abstracts of deeds of sir Edward Fitton of Gawsworth, relating to Siddington and miscellaneous properties
- Fol. 114. copy of award between sir Piers Dutton and others (stat. 27 Hen. viii, c. 43), in English
- Fol. 117. abstracts of Grosvenor family deeds
- Fol. 118. abstracts of deeds of sir George Booth of Dunham, relating to the families of Fitton of Bollin and Staveley of Stayley
- Fol. 124. deeds and exemplifications of pleadings relating to the descent of the barony of Malpas, 37 Edw. iii-38 Eliz.
- Fol. 136. an English narrative pedigree of the Vernons of Shipbrook (as in Ormerod's Cheshire, iii. 246)
7. Fol. 138. Abstracts of the evidences of sir Charles Gerard for the estates of Halsall and Downholland in Lancashire, 13th-16th centt.
8. Fol. 146. Pedigrees of Cheshire families and other extracts from the collections of William Vernon of Shakerley, whose hand occurs on fols. 147, 154-7. For other Cheshire pedigrees see fol. 2.
Artt. 1, 2, and 5, and parts of artt. 4 and 6-8 are in Roger Dodsworth's hand. Charters of the 12th-13th centt. in artt. 6-7 are included in a MS. slip calendar in the Library. There is an index of personal names at fol. vi, and of Yorkshire place-names in MS. Dodsworth 21.
MS. Dodsworth 40, 1649, 236 leaves: Collectanea 'ex bundellis escaetrium ... per Rogerum Dodsworth', being abstracts of inquisitions post mortem, Henry iii, in chronological order:
- Years 20, 26-30, 33-57, with some supplementary abstracts at p. 133
- P. 189. 'inquisitiones de rebellibus'
- P. 167. 'incerti temporis'
- P. 220. by transcripts of the returns for south Northumberland and the wapentake of Strafforth and liberty of st. Peter, York
- Pp. 176-88 are blank
In Dodsworth's hand, except pp. 139-56. Preceded by an index nominum et rerum by Thomas lord Brudenell.
- Creation: Written in 1635-1636 and (art. 8) 1647, written in 1649 by R. Dodsworth and others
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 39, 40
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 4181-4182
MS. Dodsworth 39: ('DDD')
MS. Dodsworth 40: ('D')
12 3/4 × 8 1/2 in., 11 × 6 1/2 in.