Feudal returns for Yorkshire and 'Registra Archiepiscoporum Eboracensium, abbreviata per Rogerum Dodsworth.', Written in 1632-1638, written in 1636-1638 by R. Dodsworth
MS. Dodsworth 27, 1632-1638, 188 leaves: Feudal returns for Yorkshire, viz.:
- Fol. 1. 'Rotulus feodorum que tenentur de Rege et de aliis diuersis in comitatu Ebor., secundum inquisitionem inde factam coram domino Johanne de Kirkby', 1285. The returns for Richmondshire, dated 15 Edw. i, occur, under a separate heading, at fol. 78; a copy of the original return for Skyrack wapentake (known only from this MS. and from MS. Rawlinson 450) is at fol. 46v; and at fol. 58 is a list of rents of assize of the wapentake of Claro and liberties of Knaresborough and Ripon. This copy of Kirkby's Quest is cited as D in R. H. Scaife's edition (Surtees Soc. publ. 49), and is independent of other known MSS.
- Fol. 105. 'Feoda militum infra West Riding in comitatu Ebor., ut habentur in quodam antiquo rotulo manuscripto penes me, Rogerum Dodsworthe, 1637'; the inquisitions taken in 31 Edw. i (1302-3), preparatory to levying an aid, edited in Skaife, pp. 224-33, 203-23: there is no return here for Staincliffe wapentake: (fol. 117) an account (fuller than that given by Skaife, op. cit., p. 277 seq.) of the foregoing aid for West Riding, found 'in rotulo continente 17 membranas in custodia ... Roberti, comitis de Kingston super Hull, 10 Maii, 1632'.
- Fol. 133. 'Evidentiae extractae de libris feodorum et aliis memorandis scaccarii de feodis militum in com. Ebor., liberandae collectoribus scutagii de exercitu Scotiae, anno primo Regis Edwardi tercii ... pro informacione habenda.' Fols. 133-50 are all derived from the Testa de Nevil.
- Fol. 154. 'Nomina ... villarum ... de comitatu Ebor., Anno Regni Regis Edwardi filii Regis Edwardi 9' (A.D. 1316), followed, in the same hand, by a valor, in English, of the honour and lordship of Skipton in Craven, 2-3 Henry vii (A.D. 1486-7).
Articles 2-3 are in Dodsworth's hand, and the whole volume bears his marginalia and corrections. There is an index of names of persons at fol. iv, but no index of places.
MS. Dodsworth 28, 1636-1638, 291 leaves: 'Registra Archiepiscoporum Eboracensium, abbreviata per Rogerum Dodsworth.' The extracts are carried down to A.D. 1576, Newark and 'Sede vacante' being omitted from the series of registers, of which lists are given in the Old Catalogue and in Hunter's Three Catalogues.
There is a 'Tabula alphabetica nominum virorum ut et abbathiarum' at fol. i: Yorkshire place-names are indexed in MS. Dodsworth 21. The abstracts of wills contained in this volume are collected and transcribed in MS. Dodsworth 99, art. 1. Fols. 26 and 29 have been accidentally transposed.
- Creation: Written in 1632-1638, written in 1636-1638 by R. Dodsworth
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 27, 28
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 4169-4170
MS. Dodsworth 27: ('A' in circle)
MS. Dodsworth 28: ('B' in circle)
12 7/8 × 8 1/4 in.