Collection of seven pieces, Made up of seven pieces written in the first half of the 17th century
- Fol. 1. 'Preces dierum', ten prayers and some adages translated from the Arabic (which follows on fols. 5-8) by Henricus Jacobius in 1627. The Arabic = Or. Catal. ii (Nicoll), cod. Arab. Moh. 65. Certainly Selden's.
- Fol. 9. 'Catalogue librorum M.S. quos ... Gulielmus Laud archiepiscopus Cantuariensis ... Academiæ Oxoniensi ... dono dedit Maij 22° anno Domini 1635', Laud's first gift, see p. 13 above. Certainly Selden's.
- Fol. 34. 'Indice de' libri greci antichissimi scritti a penna, che si trouano nella Libraria, che fù del ... Sig. Giacomo Barocci, nobile Veneto. In Venetia, mdcxvii.' A manuscript copy of the pamphlet contained in BB 18 Art. Seld., wanting the last two leaves. The Barocci MSS. were presented to the Bodleian in 1629. Library papers.
- Fol. 69. 'Catalogue librorum MSS. in bibliotheca S. Johannis Cantabrigiæ' about 1640, with press-marks and index. Fol. 126 is an independent leaf containing chiefly a description of MS. Selden Supra 17. Certainly Selden's.
- Fol. 128. 'La dignité et excellence de la Femme ...': [a translation into French, by John Verneuil, of dr. William Page's essay on Woman's Worth, for which see MS. Bodl. 1030 Cr.]. May rank as an accession of 1647, the year of Verneuil's death.
- Fol. 163. 'A note of Mr Robert Burtons books given to the Library by his last Will and testament anno Domini 1639', a valuable list of Burton's books, giving title, place of publication, date and size, by John Rous, Bodley's librarian. Fols. 195-6 contain a list of about sixty books 'bought of mr. Lionel Dayes Book', a Bodleian list of purchases in 1640: on fol. 196v is a note of Burton's bequests to the Bodleian. Library papers.
- Fol. 197. 'Hie facht an das Buch das genent wurt ein ... Begreiffung der Philosophen der ... Alchimie', in eight parts, in German prose: beg. 'Das lewenndt Sylber ist kalt vnnd feucht'.
- Creation: Made up of seven pieces written in the first half of the 17th century
Language of Materials
MS. Selden Supra 80
Old Selden mark = 80
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 3468
Manuscript 3483 acquired by the Bodleian Library
8 × 6 3/8 in.