Skip to main content
Bodleian Archives & Manuscripts will be unavailable for several hours on the morning of Tuesday 9th March 2021 for system maintenance.

'The dyuyne cloude of Unknowyng', a devotional treatise, with Latin and English glosses, written in the 15th and 16th cent. by W. Tregooz (?) and A. Boorde

 File
MS. Douce 262

  • How to
    request
A prologue, table and seventy-five chapters: perhaps by Walter Hilton. At end (fol. 118v) a 16th cent. note, states 'Scriptor huius libri erat d. Willelmus Tregooz professus istius domus videlicet Londoniarum Cart[usie]', referring apparently to the scribe. An 'Expositio super quedam uerba libri beati Dionisij de mistica theologia' follows on fol. 119 beg. 'De Sapientia a Deo'), and on fol. 128 'Tractatus sancti Bonauenture de Septem gradibus Contemplacionis.' All the above were written late in the 15th cent.

In about 1520 Andrew Boorde added:
  1. (fol. 132v) a treatise on repentance, beg. 'When a soll begynyth to fele grace'
  2. (fol. 134) 'Directorium quoddam breuissimum mentis ad Deum ... fratris Henrici Herpe Ordinis Minorum': the colophon calls it 'Exercitium amoris vnitiui ... conscriptum ... per dopnum Andream Boorde, pro quo exoro ... ut preces ... fundere curetis': it may be the translation from the Dutch made by Petrus a Blomennena
  3. (fol. 139v) 'The Pystell of priuat conncell', also written, according to the colophon, by A. Boorde: beg. 'Gostly frende in Gode.'.

Dates

  • written in the 15th and 16th cent. by W. Tregooz (?) and A. Boorde

Extent

162 Leaves

Shelfmark

MS. Douce 262

Other Finding Aids

Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 21836

Our best descriptions for medieval items in this collection are in Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries under MSS. Douce.

Custodial History

'Liber domus Salutacionis Matris Dei prope Londinum Ordinis Carthusie', the Charterhouse (about A.D. 1500): owned also by 'James Farewell' in the 16th cent., and in 1770 by Edward Jacob.

Physical Facet

On parchment

Dimensions

7 5/8 × 5 1/2 in.

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom