Skip to main content

European Union of Women, British Section, 1961-1990

 Series

Dates

  • 1961-1990

Biographical / Historical

The European Union of Women (EUW) was established in 1953 with the aim of establishing links between politically-active Christian democratic and conservative women in Europe. The organisation has consultative status with the United Nations and the Council of Europe, and has close links with the International Democrat Union and the European Peoples' Party.

The British Section of the European Union of Women became part of the Conservative Party Organisation in 1972, developing close constitutional links with the Women's National Advisory Committee, and became formally affiliated to the National Union in 1979. Following changes adopted at a special general meeting in 1990, the British Section was integrated more closely into the CWNC structure.

Related Materials

For additional holdings on the European Union of Women, see also:-
  1. Outside Organisations files on the EUW, 1956-1959 [shelfmark: CCO 3/5/26] and 1960-1965 [shelfmarks: CCO 3/6/24-29];
  2. Papers of Susan Walker, Party Vice-Chairman for Women, relating to the EUW, 1965 [shelfmarks: CCO 60/4/14-15];
  3. Organisation Department files on the EUW, 1956-1973 [shelfmarks: CCO 500/9/3; CCO 500/9/8; and CCO 500/9/13].

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom