Miscellaneous writings and papers of F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy, with business and other papers generated after his death, 1822-1862
MS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn c. 49
- (fols. 1-4) Diary of part of the journey to Switzerland, Aug 1822. Commentary on pictures in MS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn c.5.
- (fols. 5-7) Fragment of a notebook used 1829-1830.
- (fol. 8a) Visas, 8-21 Oct 1830 and (fols. 8b-d) fragments from a notebook containing accounts.
- (fols. 9-14) Drafted statements relating to Immermann, Düsseldorf, Autumn 1834.
- (fols. 15-17) Leaves from a notebook containing a list of music rehearsed and performed 23 May 1834-14 Jul 1835. [Pages out of order: should be 16, 15, 17].
- (fols. 18-21) Proposed programmes for the Gewandhaus concerts, 1841, with comments by the members of the committee.
- (fol. 22) Details of Mendelssohn's occupations, 10 Oct 1839.
- (fols. 24-26v) 'Fremdenliste', Leipzig, 10 Sep 1839-9 Apr 1840.
- (fol. 28) Questions relating to the manuscript of Handel's Samson, [ca. 1840].
- (fol. 29-30) List of F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy's music, 1844. Fol. 30, on which his own compositions were listed, is mutilated.
- (fol. 31) From the same notebook as 5 above: Expenses for Gewandhaus concerts, 1845-1846.
- (fols. 32-56) Reports by F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy and Carl Grenier, on the pupils of the Leipzig Conservatorium, Oct 1845-Feb 1847.
- (fols. 57-61) List by Fanny Hensel of singers who were to take part in the performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, [Berlin, Mar 1844], with a few names added by F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy, and other lists of choirs and orchestras.
- (fols. 62-72) Printed and secretary's manuscript copies of papers relating to cathedral services, Berlin.
- (fol. 74) Service 'Zum Feste der Einweihung des Kölner Domes'.
- (fol. 76) List of F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy's compositions, ops. 1-71, partly in his own hand.
- (fol. 78) Thematic catalogue by Franz Xaver Gleichauf of his copies of Chorale Variations by J.S. Bach, enclosed with a letter of 24 Aug 1844, Green Book XX 62. To it F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy added 'Wer nur den lieben Gott' owned by Friedrich Schlemmer.
- (fol. 83) Sketch by F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy given to Marie Benecke by Cleophea Schlemmer, 3 Feb 1892.
- (fol. 85a) Sketch by F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy for Frances Arabella Horsley given to Marie Benecke by Sophie Horsley.
- (fol. 85b-86) Leaves from notebook, ca. 25 Aug. 1831, and drafts of music.
- (fols. 88-93) 4 leaves of studies of figures, [Aug 1836], with decorated writing paper [by Cécile] and drawing by another hand.
- (fol. 97) Watercolour of the Chateâu de Chillon, 23 Dec 1843, given to Margaret Deneke by Brigitte Chapman, née Mendelssohn, Nov 1949. [Done from pencil sketch, MS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn e.1, fol. 4].
- (fols. 98-107) Agreement between F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy and W.A. Lurgenstein respecting Lurgensteins Garten, signed 20 Jul 1837, revised 1838 and 1843, and Inventory, 23 Feb 1838.
- (fols. 108-139) Papers relating to the death of F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy's servant Johann Krebs, 23 Nov 1846: note on his grave; letter from him to F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy, 6 Oct 1846; 'In Falle das ich sterben'; letter from [Graf Carl Friedrich] Vitzthum [von Eckstaedt], Berlin 7 Sep 1847; accounts; deeds; etc.
- (fol. 140) Suggested improvements to a composition for piano, cello, etc. in an unknown hand.
- (fols. 142-144) Bills, etc. 1834-1846.
- (fols. 145-148) Copies of letters from the Green Books.
- (fols. 149-156) Two copies of programmes of concert 11 Jan 1861.
- (fols. 157-213) Accounts of the inheritance of Carl, Marie, Paul and Lili after Cécile's death, 8 Feb 1862.
Language of Materials
MS. M. Deneke Mendelssohn c. 49
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequeathed by Helena Deneke, 1973.