Skip to main content

Inter-university committee on computing, 1957-1964

 File
MS. Coulson 124

  • How to
    request
Coulson was Oxford University's representative on this Committee, which was established in 1957 to advise the Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals. Coulson chaired several meetings and took the initiative in corresponding with other members of the Committee re filling the offices of Chairman and Secretary when vacancies occurred. (During Coulson's service on the Committee the office of Chairman was held successively by D.R. Hartree, W. Jackson and D.G. Christopherson while the office of Secretary was held by A.S. Douglas, J. Howlett and D.C. Gilles.) Coulson resigned from the Committee in December 1963, his place being taken by Professor L. Fox, Director of the Oxford University Computing Laboratory.

This box contains official papers, reports and memoranda of the Committee and its Sub-Committees; Coulson's notes of meetings and discussions; correspondence with Committee officers and members, and with colleagues in other universities.

The topics include: the financing and replacement of computers, charging for computer time in universities, relations with the Universities Grants Committee, reports from various university computing laboratories on their facilities and services, the composition of the Committee, drafts of the Committee's report.

Seven folders presented in chronological order:
  1. E.5.1, 1957
  2. E.5.2, 1958
  3. E.5.3, 1959
  4. E.5.4, 1960
  5. E.5.5, 1961
  6. E.5.6, 1962
  7. E.5.7, 1963-1964

Dates

  • 1957-1964

Extent

7 folders

Language of Materials

English

Shelfmark

MS. Coulson 124

Former reference:

CSAC 60/4/78/E.5/1-7

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom